Joe Jackson "Laughter and Lust"

 


I can think of no better album that's literally wonderfully crafted pure pop than Joe Jackson's "Laughter and Lust".  This album is truly famous in my catalog, one that I feel hardly anyone knows about and/or has ever heard.  It plays from start to finish almost like a greatest hits album, where each and every song is so pop/radio friendly that it's hard to even guess at which track was chosen as the single.  Ironically, the first single was the opening "Obvious Song", and that's probably my least favorite song on the album...but that's not saying much since it's also a fantastic track, and that's just how high the bar is set here.

I actually got my hands on this album via the old Columbia House "get 10 CD's for a $1" routine that was very popular in the 80's/90's.  I tended to use this "discount", if you will, as a way for me to try out music that I might otherwise not go out and purchase.  It was sometimes hard to find 10+ CD's on their list all at once, and I know in some manner of speaking this album was a bit of an afterthought.  In the end, I was like "...oh, what the hell...let's try it..."  The worst that could happen is that I would not like the album and end up selling it to a local record store, which is what happened with probably 75% of the CD's I would try.  On the flip side, I'd also find miraculous discoveries via the other 25%, this being one of them, and that's what made the whole venture worthwhile.

Up until this time, the closest I'd ever heard of an album that's absolutely perfectly paced and literally hit quality song after song was probably INXS's "Listen Like Thieves" or "Kick".  In fact, in wondering what album would get my vote in this category to this day, it would be down to these two and "Laughter and Lust", no doubt.  I'd probably choose the latter, though, in all honesty, and it's probably not even that close of a race.

Something that I LOVE about this album is how many different kinds of sounds Jackson covers, from straight up rock to classic rock to piano ballads to world beat to experimental, and it's all bundled perfectly under one banner, making them sound completely uniform next to one another.  To me, someone who takes song ordering very seriously and probably could teach a class in it, this album is a pure study in song ordering and flow.  The production job is also top notch with fantastic clarity for electric guitars and congas, piano, etc.  It should also be mentioned that many of these tracks, as much as they're pop oriented, are very complex...and yet Jackson makes it all look terribly easy, probably never giving the average listener any hint that they're listening to something out of the ordinary or more complicated.  It's amazing work.

And, let's not leave out Jackson's amazing ability at writing song lyrics...  I know his work is not terribly consistent across his catalog but I will say that he really shows many moments of true musical genius, and I've always admired his wanting to try any and all sounds out there.  Even if I don't necessarily like everything he's done, I have tremendous respect for the man as an artist and for not pandering to the public.

Stand out tracks for me are "Downtown", with it's super fun dance-able beat that almost always makes me get up and shake my bum (as Phil Collin's used to say), "Jamie G." of which I've always wondered if it was about Jamie Gertz, one of my personal favorites "It's All Too Much" with one of the greatest rock/pop sounds I've ever encountered, and "When You're Not Around", another super catchy tune that I simply adore, especially with the female vocals howling in the background.  Sublime.  But, my absolute favorite tracks (I know...you're like how many favorites can you have?  My point exactly) are the more experimental "Trying to Cry" and "My House", both a bit off the beaten path but there's something about them that's lived inside of me since I heavily listened to this album.  "Trying to Cry" is probably in my list of favorite songs ever from anyone, believe it or not, and I just love how that song is put together along with the somber mood and lyrics, paired with wonderful female vocalists, especially the angelic and hauntingly sung "...it's alright..." in the background.  Again, purely sublime material, in my book, and the words to that song are perfection for the feeling it's trying to convey.

There's also the cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well".  Who know that a cover could be better than the famed original?  I'm sure that would spark quite an argument in the Mac world but, I have to say, I much prefer Jackson's version.

The album ends on the piano based "Drowning", another gorgeous tune more in the vein of typical Joe Jackson style, and it's just such a touchingly beautiful sound and melody that it brings tears to my eyes each time I hear it.

I'll also mention that "The Old Songs" is probably the greatest song I've ever heard that sums up the very feeling portrayed in that track, with lyrics that are perfectly penned.  Again, pure genius.  It's just unfortunate that I listened to this song and album literally after I got married way back in the day, and it ended up being like a bad omen on the horizon.

I've read mixed reviews about this album from various people over the years but I seriously think they're crazy and/or simply didn't listen to it enough.  This album does take a small amount of work but the payoff, in my opinion, is pretty quick.  It will take awhile to love the whole album but with regular listens it'll perfectly appeal to you in 2-3 song clusters that keep changing every few listens, in essence the way a great album should grab a listener.  If you haven't ever heard it and you enjoy clever pop, whether it be Jackson or Paul Simon or something in that realm, I highly urge you seek this one out and give it a whirl.  It's definitely super high in my list of best albums ever made.

Comments